Student: What is the significance of putting the thumb with other fingers?
Thumb represents Prana – our life force. If there is no life in the body what is the use of the body? Similarly, if thumb is not used, no Mudra will be activated.
Prana means Universal Life energy.
Instructions on doing mudras
- Except for special Mudras, for all mudras, one had to keep the mudra on both the hands.
- You can chant mantra or switch words silently, while doing the mudra.
- You can walk, lie down, sit down or watching TV while doing the mudra.
- There is no time to do mudras. You can do it all the time. Of course, they are very effective when you do the mudras between 4-6 AM.
- In general, Mudra you can do for 30-45 minutes, Mantra can be done all the 24 hours.
- There are exceptions to that rule. Don’t do Linga mudra for more than 15 minutes at a time. However mudras like Chin Mudra and Acceptance mudra can be done throughout the day.
- All mudras are beneficial to us without any side-effects. However, for some it might produce an unwanted side-effect. In such a case, please stop doing it and contact Naran.
- You need not press the fingers hard when you touch the tip of the thumb or while placing them at the base of the thumb. No pressure should be applied. Pressure means, your mind is restless and not stable.
The above points were discussed during the workshop on Mudras, Hyderabad, on 16thFeb, 2013. You can learn about Mudras in the upcoming workshop, dated 15th Dec, 2013, at Bangalore, by Naran S Balakumar.
I am having some problem since 3 yrs. I was using mobile a lot during 2006. But after 2 yrs of increased usage, I have reduced using mobile.
But still, I have some problems in me. I am unable to open my mouth freely sometimes. I have digestion problems as well as body pains only on the left side of my body.
I was using mobile on left ear.
Stop using mobile phone.
There is a sticker available in the market which can save one from electromagnetic pollution of mobile phone. Buy and stick it to your mobile.
Do this Mudra:
- Place the LEFT middle finger at the base of the thumb.
- Place the RIGHT index finger at the base of the thumb.
- Be in this Mudra for 15 minutes daily.
I did this Mudra for 15 minutes in the morning and I was able to feel the difference.
As he was using the phone on the left side, his left ear has been affected. This was fixed by the Mudra using the left hand.
The pain indicates the accumulation of excess air. This is fixed by keeping the right index finger at the base of the thumb.
The above Mudras were suggested based on the indications of the patient. In general, same Mudras have to be done on both hands, unless they are special ones.
Whenever I open my mouth – either when yawning or while coughing, I get a pain in the right ear.
Do you use a mobile a lot?
This could be due to Apanan (Prana), which has to flow downwards. Instead, it is flowing upwards instead. Do the Chin Mudra (index finger touching the tip of thumb on both the hands). It will help the Apanan to flow downwards.
Sam (after three days)
My pain has completely gone. Usually, my stomach is bloated in the evening from 4 pm until 9 pm. Because of that, my belly looks bigger. Can I do the Chin Mudra to reduce this bloating?
Yes you can. Additionally, chant ‘Vallabam Gajaananam Eka Thantham”.
The mantra will make you enjoy food. When you don’t enjoy eating your food, you will tend to nibble your food. You need to munch the food a lot (for at least for 40 seconds) before swallowing it. This helps saliva to get mixed with food, which helps the digestion process.
It creates space inside you. You don’t have space when you are stuck in a traffic jam (what’s inside us is reflected outside us). Put both the Chin and Akash (space) Mudras (let the index and middle fingers touch the tip of the thumb in both the hands). Then we will have space and move.
Akash Mudra activates our own teacher inside us.
If anybody is selfish, you can ask them, “Please put this Mudra”. It will make him broad-minded.
It widens your views and helps to understand your life better.
This also helps to clears the throat.
A Case History
Thanks for the wonderful program at “Raj Bhavan”. While teaching on “Akash Mudra”, you mentioned that the teacher in us will be widened and awakened.
Evening after coming from the function, I checked my mails. There was an invitation mail from a Chartered Accountants study circle to address the chartered accountants. Thanks to you Naran.
Tomorrow, I’m doing counselling for CA (Chartered Accountants) students appearing for final exams. I attribute all these success to you!
Mrs. Sasikala Ravivenkatesan
Also called as Agni Mudra or Surya Mudra.
Place the ring finger in the base of the thumb, strengthens eyes.
It reduces weight too. Whenever somebody comes to me, the first request would be, whether there is any remedy to reduce their weight. People who are over weight or look obese, their fat level is high and it is not burnt properly. If the fire element is activated, the weight can be brought down. Though, don’t see the weighing machine after doing the Mudra for 1 hr. Do it daily and check it after 20-30 days.
If you want to break away from somebody or not to talk to someone, when you want to assert yourself, and not able to say no to anybody then do this Mudra. You will automatically be able to say no, whenever you want to. You will not behave like a door mat.
This Mudra is good for anaemia – where there is less of iron.
When there is physical exhaustion do this Mudra.