Student: What is the significance of putting the thumb with other fingers?
Thumb represents Prana – our life force. If there is no life in the body what is the use of the body? Similarly, if thumb is not used, no Mudra will be activated.
Prana means Universal Life energy.
Instructions on doing mudras
- Except for special Mudras, for all mudras, one had to keep the mudra on both the hands.
- You can chant mantra or switch words silently, while doing the mudra.
- You can walk, lie down, sit down or watching TV while doing the mudra.
- There is no time to do mudras. You can do it all the time. Of course, they are very effective when you do the mudras between 4-6 AM.
- In general, Mudra you can do for 30-45 minutes, Mantra can be done all the 24 hours.
- There are exceptions to that rule. Don’t do Linga mudra for more than 15 minutes at a time. However mudras like Chin Mudra and Acceptance mudra can be done throughout the day.
- All mudras are beneficial to us without any side-effects. However, for some it might produce an unwanted side-effect. In such a case, please stop doing it and contact Naran.
- You need not press the fingers hard when you touch the tip of the thumb or while placing them at the base of the thumb. No pressure should be applied. Pressure means, your mind is restless and not stable.
The above points were discussed during the workshop on Mudras, Hyderabad, on 16thFeb, 2013. You can learn about Mudras in the upcoming workshop, dated 15th Dec, 2013, at Bangalore, by Naran S Balakumar.
Whenever I open my mouth – either when yawning or while coughing, I get a pain in the right ear.
Do you use a mobile a lot?
This could be due to Apanan (Prana), which has to flow downwards. Instead, it is flowing upwards instead. Do the Chin Mudra (index finger touching the tip of thumb on both the hands). It will help the Apanan to flow downwards.
Sam (after three days)
My pain has completely gone. Usually, my stomach is bloated in the evening from 4 pm until 9 pm. Because of that, my belly looks bigger. Can I do the Chin Mudra to reduce this bloating?
Yes you can. Additionally, chant ‘Vallabam Gajaananam Eka Thantham”.
The mantra will make you enjoy food. When you don’t enjoy eating your food, you will tend to nibble your food. You need to munch the food a lot (for at least for 40 seconds) before swallowing it. This helps saliva to get mixed with food, which helps the digestion process.
This activates air element – one of the five elements, inside you. It is connected with Heart Chakra. Chant the bija mantra ‘Om Yum Namaha’ when you do the Mudra.
How to do Chin Mudra
On both hands, index finger touching the thumb, keep the other three fingers straight. Can keep the eyes closed — not necessary though. Watch the breath. Preferably keep the back straight or move around if you are feeling lethargic.
Advantages of doing Chin Mudra
- For Lower Back Pain, do Chin Mudra and chant “Wung R Hong”.
- Chin Mudra brings down the stress level. Therefore, do Chin Mudra until tension comes down to zero.
- This is also called as Gyan Mudra as it is normally used during meditation by keeping your hands on your lap, with the palm of the hands facing the sky. You can put Chin Mudra while chanting mantras.
- Chant EEJO while doing Chin Mudra.
After eating food, if Belching happens, then it means the Apanan – a type of prana that is supposed to flow down, is coming up.
It will also bring down your head aches – which could be happening due to too much worry and thinking. You will get better relief by doing this Mudra and chanting the Chinese mantra.
- How to remove congestion from the pranic body?
If the congestion is more, Chin Mudra is the most effective way to remove the congestion. Chin Mudra will activate the Apana Vaayu which goes down. You have to do inhaling and exhaling with Chin Mudra.
- This Mudra releases the excess energy from us. For example, your excess anger will come down.
- Kindles yellow energy inside you. Mars is activated.
A 20 year old girl accidently falls in love with a person of 40 years. May be it is infatuation. This Mudra controls the infatuation. If they don’t want to do the Mudra, give them gem remedy Coral. If its infatuation, they will separate and if it is true love they will marry.
Infatuation is excess of un-channelled energy. This Mudra helps to prevent misconduct between male and female.
Good for Lethargy
- When you feel sleepy after lunch.
- Mentally stressed out in the evening as too many thoughts in the mind.
- Not able to get from bed in the morning.
Chin Mudra boosts your energy and thus activity.
When the mind has gone overboard, it can normalize.
The Chin Mudra helps to boost activity during the day.
- Affirmations to remove lethargy
“I release my desire to sleep”
“I release my resistance to get up and do the work.
(Desire and resistance work in opposite directions)
This Mudra called as Pran or Prana Mudra. Do the Mudra, by touching the Thumb with the tips of Ring and Little fingers, on both hands. Do it for at least 10 minutes a day. For better results do it for 30-45 minutes. Ideal position is to sit erect. However, you could do it, lying down, before going to sleep; while walking; or may be when your manager bores you with his lectures!
The mental state worry links with the scarcity situation. Lack of money = Worry. Enough money on hand creates a mental state of Relaxation and Calmness. When you do this Mudra, you activate your calmness. This calmness in turn, brings money into your life.
A student of Naran S. Balakumar was about to be fired. He did this Mudra for few days. Within a week, his job contract was renewed and got a good hike too. His feedback is, “I didn’t know when I went to sleep. Therefore, I can’t say, whether this Mudra works or not!”
The additional benefit of this Mudra is that you will sleep like a child. A child feels safe and secure under the protection of his parents. Therefore, you would feel safe and secure too.
While you are Relaxed and Sleeping, the Universal Mind is Awake and it works very hard to get not only what you want, but also more than what you want!
The above material is an extract from Mudra Class conducted by Naran S. Balakumar on Feb 14th, 2009. Please click the link to see the class material: http://naranheal.com/mudras.php?page=2&task=mudras