Student: What is the significance of putting the thumb with other fingers?
Thumb represents Prana – our life force. If there is no life in the body what is the use of the body? Similarly, if thumb is not used, no Mudra will be activated.
Prana means Universal Life energy.
Instructions on doing mudras
- Except for special Mudras, for all mudras, one had to keep the mudra on both the hands.
- You can chant mantra or switch words silently, while doing the mudra.
- You can walk, lie down, sit down or watching TV while doing the mudra.
- There is no time to do mudras. You can do it all the time. Of course, they are very effective when you do the mudras between 4-6 AM.
- In general, Mudra you can do for 30-45 minutes, Mantra can be done all the 24 hours.
- There are exceptions to that rule. Don’t do Linga mudra for more than 15 minutes at a time. However mudras like Chin Mudra and Acceptance mudra can be done throughout the day.
- All mudras are beneficial to us without any side-effects. However, for some it might produce an unwanted side-effect. In such a case, please stop doing it and contact Naran.
- You need not press the fingers hard when you touch the tip of the thumb or while placing them at the base of the thumb. No pressure should be applied. Pressure means, your mind is restless and not stable.
The above points were discussed during the workshop on Mudras, Hyderabad, on 16thFeb, 2013. You can learn about Mudras in the upcoming workshop, dated 15th Dec, 2013, at Bangalore, by Naran S Balakumar.
From the Book “Forgiveness – Why and How” by Naran S Balakumar
Mudras for Letting Go
Vata humor is formed by activating Air and Space elements (touch the thumb with index and middle finger on both the hands).
Vata means MOVEMENT.
Its primary seat is Colon. Inhalation, exhalation, circulation, communication, nervous system, excretion, co-ordination of senses – all of them require Vata humor.
When we fight with somebody, we don’t want to ask for forgiveness, because we are adamant. Earth element is more here (ring finger). Air and Space elements have to be activated.
The letting go of anger and resentment will be easier with this MUDRA.
Then we need to do the ACCEPTANCE Mudra and then do the FORGIVENESS Exercise.
Forgiveness is the door way to happiness in our lives.
Letting go of Anger! Letting in Harmony!
My husband keeps fighting with me, says a lady.
Our normal reaction is to express our anger, which we think is natural and the right thing to do. Anger will produce only anger. How to break this cycle?
Do SAFE and SECURE Mudra (on both hands, touch little and ring fingers with thumb), also called as PRAN Mudra. Our anger will come down along with the other person’s anger.
With this Mudra, chant the names of the Bach flowers BEECH, WALNUT, WILLOW, AGRIMONY, CHICORY, and CHERRY PLUM. Harmony will prevail.
Alternatively, along with this Mudra, chant the Switch Words, “BOW CONCEDE TOGETHER DIVINE”.
When you want to avoid conflict, or when you want to do the forgiveness exercise, visualize the colour GREEN. Think about the colour green and visualize any greenery before going to the place where you expect conflict.
How to do this Mudra? The right hand thumb touches index and middle finger, while the left hand thumb touches middle finger and ring finger. This is also called PUSHAN Mudra.
- When there is a conflict and we wants to remain peaceful, we can do this Mudra and chant “I am sorry, please forgive me, Love Thanks Divine”.
- When we want to stop criticizing others or when we want to have tolerance, we can be in the Acceptance Mudra and chant, “I am sorry. Please forgive me. Love Thanks Divine”.
- When we want to shed our ego and pride, we can be in the Acceptance Mudra and go on affirming within, “I am sorry. Please forgive me. Love! Thanks! Divine!”